There’s nothing more exhilarating than hitting the open road on a motorcycle, and millions of people do it every year without incident. However, operating a motorcycle, like everything in life, comes with risks, and the best way to minimize those is to educate yourself. Below, you’ll find some important statistics about motorcycle accidents that every driver needs to know. By equipping yourself with this knowledge you can better know what to look for on the road and hopefully make Tampa motorcycle accidents a very rare occurrence.
- Motorcycle drivers are over thirty times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident than drivers operating other motor vehicles.
- Over ten percent of all motor vehicle accidents in the United States involve a motorcyclist.
- Motorcycle accidents are on the rise. Between 1997 and 2005 motorcycle registrations increased a little over sixty percent. However, the number of fatal accidents involving motorcycles increased over one hundred percent.
- Almost fifty percent of fatal motorcycle accidents involved another motor vehicle attempting to turn left while the motorcycle was attempting to go straight in the other direction.
- Almost fifty percent of motorcycle accidents involved no other vehicles.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- The three most common causes for all motor vehicle accidents are drunk driving, distracted driving, and speeding. These hold true for motorcyclists as well.
- Other causes include: inexperienced drivers, lane splitting (driving a motorcycle between two lanes), inclement weather conditions, and road rage.
Helmet Safety Statistics
- Head injuries are the number one cause of death among motorcyclists.
- In 2008, almost 2,000 lives were saved thanks to motorcyclists wearing a helmet while driving.
- Several states (including Florida) have helmet laws that don’t require people of a certain age to wear a helmet. Fatal accidents in these states are consistently higher than those with helmet laws.
- Wearing a helmet reduces your chance of a fatal crash by almost forty percent.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, it can be tough to deal with the emotional and financial toll it takes on you and your family. Hiring a qualified attorney is a great way to receive compensation for your injuries, and it’s always good to know you’ve got someone in your corner that can fight for you.
 https://www.motorcycleaccident.org/motorcycle-accidents-statistics-and-possible- causes/